Mission & aims
The mission and aims of the History of Education Society are:
- to promote the study and teaching of the history of education;
- to encourage and support research in the history of education;
- to represent the interests of the field of the history of education;
- to promote the public profile and an informed public understanding of the history of education by engaging in relevant public debates;
- to encourage and support new researchers in the history of education;
- to provide collaboration and exchange among those interested in the history of education in Britain and around the world;
- to promote links with the study and teaching of history at all levels;
- to promote the preservation of and facilitate access to primary sources in the history of education and features of our educational heritage.
The Society holds an annual three-day conference in November/December.
The HES offers bursaries to enable postgraduate students to attend their annual conference. I’ve been going for the past few years, and always enjoy the friendly, supportive environment and thought-provoking presentations. The Society’s annual postgraduate events, which are run by students and focus on the research process, have also been really helpful.
Other history of education societies
- The International Standing Conference for the History of Education (ISCHE)
- Australian and New Zealand History of Education Society (ANZHES)
- l’Association canadienne d’histoire de l’éducation/Canadian History of Education Association
- Sociedad Española de Historia de la Educación (SEDHE)
- Grupo de Estudos e Pesquisas “História, Sociedade e Educação no Brasil” (HISTEDBR)
- Service d’Histoire de l’Éducation del INRP (INRP)
- Sociedade Brasileira de Historia de História da Educaçao (SBHE)